A fair while while ago I was in a raging surf punk pop band called Stiff Kittens; also in that band was mate, guitar hero, fine artist, songsmith and all round dynamo Julien Poulson.
Julien went on to form and lead some cracking bands including Moler, Cambodian Space Project as well as deliver some cool albums under his own name.
Now based in Kampot, Cambodia, he has a full suite of art and cafe-related projects on the go and runs the Reader’s and Writer’s Festival there. He also has his own radio show Asian Garage Underground.
Julien was in Melbourne late last year and we got the chance late one night to record a show talking about our time together, the stuff that had gone on since and much more besides.
I brought along 10 songs that had meant something to me along the way – it was fun choosing the songs, even more fun doing the interview, and well – here it is:
Hope you get something from it.
- Stranded – The Saints
- Jeepster – T-Rex
- As You Walk – Stiff Kittens
- Another Girl, Another Planet – The Only Ones
- Myrtle – Vic Chesnutt
- Starry Starry Night (Vincent) – Lianne LaHavas
- Fisherman’s Blues – Waterboys
- Give Back the Keys to my Heart – Sir Douglas Quintet (Doug Sarm)
- You Can’t put Your Arms Around a Memory – Johnny Thunders
- You Let My Tyres Down – Tropical Fuck Storm